I realized today that I hadn’t seen any updates in several months from a Facebook friend. I discovered, when I looked him up, that I had been unfriended. At first hurt, I briefly thought about sending another friend request before deciding against it. You see, life is short. It’s a cliche’, but our time is so limited–who doesn’t complain about not having enough of it?–that I don’t want to spend it chasing after people who 1. don’t make me happy and 2. don’t choose to be my friend.
A true friend:
- chooses to be your friend because she genuinely likes you
- will be there for you, regardless of whether or not it’s “convenient”
- says, “Let me know if you need anything,” and really means it
- is your friend with no strings attached
- doesn’t require an “event” or “party” to have you over
- always gives you the courtesy of a response, even if it’s one you didn’t want to hear
- shares something crucial with you–values, experiences, or dreams, for example
- makes your life better and happier
Surround yourself with true friends and life will be so much better.