This is a “tea” without any tea in it. Turmeric is an amazing yellow spice; studies show that curcumin, the active substance in turmeric, may help fight infections and some cancers, reduce inflammation, and treat digestive problems.
I think one of the only dishes I made before we changed our diet that used turmeric was Indian Potatoes and Chickpeas. Now, I use it in lots of recipes. This tea is certainly a different type of preparation–a little sweet, a little earthy…tough to describe, really. It’s a very unique taste, and one that didn’t sound that good to me initially. I liked it, though. This is a morning beverage I could get into (I’m not a coffee drinker).
This recipe is from Mark’s Daily Apple.
- 8 oz almond or coconut milk (I used Silk brand unsweetened coconut milk)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½-inch wide round slice of ginger root, peeled and finely chopped (I subbed about ⅛ tsp ground ginger)
- ½ – 1 tsp honey or other sweetener
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of cayenne pepper (I omitted)
- Heat your non-dairy milk of choice in a saucepan or in a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a mug.
- Pour a tiny amount of the warmed milk into the mug and mix until the liquid is smooth with no lumps.
- Pour in the rest of the milk and stir, then sip (or guzzle) your tasty beverage!