I am a proud wife. My husband finally tried his hand at “this vegan cooking thing.” Of course, for his first recipe he had to make a manly dish and this open-faced meatball sandwich fit the bill. This is a versatile and delicious recipe. If you don’t want to use the mixture to make meatballs, you can roll it in breadcrumbs before baking and serve it with a sauce of your choosing as croquettes. Rather than mincing the carrot, mushrooms, and zucchini, he just let the food processor shred them. It worked great and cut down on prep time. We served these on bread and poured hot spaghetti sauce on top. It was awesome.
This recipe is adapted from the original Happy Herbivore cookbook.
|The kids love these cut up into pieces with spaghetti sauce|
- 1 (15-oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 small can of mushrooms, shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup vital wheat gluten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mash kidney beans. Combine the beans with all remaining ingredients until well mixed.
- Shape mixture into ball and place on greased cookie sheet (or use parchment paper).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool and firm for 10-15 minutes before serving.