You know how when you’re sick, all you want is a warm, comforting soup? Back in the day, my go-to was a can of Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup. Now, I turn to healthier and tastier alternatives. This soup uses fresh veggies and whole wheat pasta and tastes wonderful when it’s reheated too!
This recipe is adapted from one by Mary Rondinelli in the Penzey’s spice catalog.
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 small zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp basil
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- pinch of ground red pepper (optional)
- 4 cups water, divided
- 4 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 cup whole wheat angel hair noodles broken into 1-inch pieces
- Sprinkle the herbs and spices on carrots, zucchini and onion in a stock pot and saute' until tender.
- Add 3 cups of water and the tomato sauce.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 min.
- Add the last cup of water, turn up to medium, and add pasta noodles.
- Cook until softened, about 10-15 minutes. Serve with a crusty bread!