When my husband first mentioned he had a hankering for dirt cake, I was a little intimidated by the challenge of the normally dairy-heavy dessert. I scratched my head and wondered, how in the world would I be able to recreate a recipe that normally contains butter, cream cheese, and Cool Whip? And, yes, I’m aware there are “vegan” versions of all of those, but I refuse to replace one “naughty” food with another, so my version is quite a bit healthier. Also, it contains fiber-rich chia seeds–betcha won’t find those in a normal dirt cake!
This recipe uses a cup of Vanilla-Coconut Chia Seed Pudding, so if you haven’t made a batch of this super-simple, super-healthy pudding yet, now’s your chance!
- 1 package Double-Stuf Oreos
- 1 6-oz container vanilla non-dairy yogurt (I used Almond Dream)
- 4 3.8 oz containers chocolate-vanilla non-dairy pudding (I used Zen brand)
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar (can omit for a less sweet result)
- 1 cup Vanilla-Coconut Chia Seed Pudding
- handful of gummi worms (vegan or omit)
- Dump entire package of oreos in food processor and process until fine crumbs. The cream will blend in and disappear.
- In a large bowl, mix yogurt, chocolate-vanilla pudding, confectioner's sugar, and chia seed pudding until smooth.
- Now get your presentation bowl--either a big flower pot or vase, or just a clear glass bowl, and layer your cake. First put down a layer of cookie crumbs, then smooth on a layer of pudding mix. Intersperse gummi worms throughout.
- End with a dirt layer on top and, if desired, stick a faux flower in the top for a cute presentation.
- Store in refrigerator.