Although I don’t like the flavor and spices in this quite as much as my favorite Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup, it comes together in about half the time because it uses red lentils rather than brown, and my kids (especially the baby) liked it better because the red lentils are smaller and softer.
This recipe is adapted from the Everyday Happy Herbivore.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into little cubes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- pinch of cinnamon
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 6-8 cups spinach (I omit for the kids because they won't eat it)
- Generous dash of pepper
- Saute' onion and garlic in a little veggie broth for a minute, then add the red pepper flakes, if using, and continue to saute'.
- Add turmeric, garam masala, cardamom, and cinnamon to the onion mixture and stir.
- Add broth and red lentils. Bring to boil, then cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, pepper, and additional broth or water if necessary (I think I added ¾ cup more). Bring to a boil again, then reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils and potatoes are cooked through, perhaps 10 minutes.
- If using, add spinach and cook until slightly wilted.