So pleasantly surprised by how delicious these burgers are–easily the tastiest vegan burgers we’ve had thus far, although we agreed it tasted more like a fish sandwich because of the texture. These are totally yum, and I am sure omnivore friends and family would like them too!
This recipe is adapted from Healthy Happy Life.
- 1 large sweet potato, cooked and peeled (enough to yield two mashed cups)
- 2 cans of great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs (plus more for breading the burgers)
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- sweet and smoky barbecue rub (or other favorite seasoning for the outside of the burger)
- In a food processor, combine the sweet potato, beans, tahini, agave, lemon pepper, nutritional yeast, and cayenne pepper and process until somewhat smooth.
- Transfer to large bowl and add bread crumbs and flour, mixing with hands or spoon. If the mixture is still too sticky to form burger patties, add more bread crumbs and/or flour.
- Form patties by hand and coat with bread crumbs in a shallow dish. If desired, add seasoned rub to the outside of the burger now.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in large pan over medium heat and add patties until pan is full. Flip when browned on one side.
- Transfer to plate lined with paper towels. Serve with slices of ripe avocado, lettuce and spinach. Soooo good!