From the Bite Me, I’m Vegan blog, I bring you another delicious pairing of sweet potatoes and black beans. You may remember I love this combination; they appear in my favorite Sri Lankan Kale with Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans.
I ended up doing extra work for this recipe because I had neither enchilada sauce nor vegan sour cream. So….I made my own of each. I used the Happy Herbivore recipes for both sauce and sour cream and the resulting enchiladas were tasty and filling.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 3 oz vegan sour cream
- ¾ lb sweet potatoes, diced (I used 3 sweet potatoes and 1 russett)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 oz green chile peppers, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Steam sweet potatoes until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute onions, garlic, oregano, and cumin in a dash of oil over medium-high heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add chile peppers and cook an additional minute. Add beans and potatoes and cook until soft.
- Whisk together enchilada sauce and sour cream. Spread a little less than half of this mixture in the bottom of an oiled 9"x13" pan.
- To assemble enchiladas, heat the tortillas in the microwave or in a hot skillet until pliable. Place a tortilla in the prepared pan, spread about ⅓ c of filling in the tortilla, and roll up. Place with the seam-side down so it stays rolled. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Spread remaining sauce on top of enchiladas.
- Bake covered with aluminum foil for 25 minutes, then uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
- Serve hot with additional enchilada sauce (I actually used taco sauce) or guacamole.