I love quick and easy lunch ideas, and this sandwich is a delicious alternative to a giant salad. It combines my favorite bean, chickpeas, with creamy avocado to make a delicious salad that could even be used as a dip. Another great vegan sandwich option is the Eggless Salad Sandwich. This is really delicious on a toasted English muffin, as well.
This recipe is adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod.
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large or 2 medium ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- Juice from 1 lime (I used a generous squeeze of lime juice)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, Old Bay seasoning, or hot sauce (I like Old Bay seasoning)
- Bread of your choice (I use 15-grain bread)
- Handful of baby spinach
- Process chickpeas in food processor.
- Transfer to bowl and mix in avocado, green onion, lime juice, and salt and pepper. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add cayenne pepper, Old Bay or hot sauce as desired to add a little "zip." The salad is yummy and mellow without it, but I really felt it needed a little kick.
- Serve on bed of baby spinach on sandwich.