This is the perfect soup to whip up when you just want something warm, comforting, and easy. This soup only has a few ingredients and the only chopping you have to do is a single onion. I use frozen cooked winter squash to cut down on prep significantly.
I use the Homemade Vegetable Broth powder to make the broth for this soup.
This recipe is adapted from Ellie Krieger’s Winter Soup in the March 4, 2013 issue of People magazine.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 3 packages of frozen cooked winter squash OR 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- Saute the onion until soft.
- Add the garlic, allspice and ginger and cook another minute.
- Add the squash, broth, and milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is soft and tender.
- Remove from heat and puree in batches in a blender until smooth.
- Serve with a crusty bread.