I’ve avoided making pizzas since we eliminated dairy because even though I could have slapped some tomato sauce and veggies on bread, the cheesiness was always my favorite part of the pizza! But when I saw this pizza hummus recipe from Chocolate-Covered Katie, I knew I had to use the hummus as a pizza sauce since it combines tomato sauce with the cheesiness of nutritional yeast. The result? A complete success! The pizzas were delicious and sooo healthy! Remember, nutritional yeast is NOT the same as active yeast used in bread making. Nutritional yeast has a cheesy, nutty flavor, looks like fish food, and can be bought at health food stores, some large chain grocery stores, on online.
This recipe made the perfect amount of sauce for two of the pizzas shown above.
- ½ cup garbanzo beans (drained)
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- heaping ½ tsp dry basil
- ¼ cup plus 2 T basil-and-garlic tomato sauce (Or plain tomato sauce, and add a little extra basil and garlic)--I used Hunts Basil Oregano Garlic and it was delish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend very well.
- Store in fridge if not using right away.