So delicious! Nothing quite like a guilt-free comfort food! The whole family enjoyed this mild-flavored “meat”loaf that derives its bulk from beans and quinoa. I used dried beans that were cooked in the pressure cooker, so my end result was probably less salty than canned beans, but very, very good. I also cut down on the prep by using a food processor.
The recipe is adapted from the Happy Herbivore’s “Hippie Loaf.”
- 1 15-oz can black or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2 celery stalks, washed and shredded
- 1 4-oz can of mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 3 tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pulse beans and mushrooms in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl and mix in remaining ingredients.
- Pour mixture into a greased standard 8-in loaf pan and pat down firmly.
- Bake for 45 min-1 hr, until firm and brown on outside. Let the loaf cool for 15 min before serving.