My first time cooking with kohlrabi and I attempted an original recipe! “Kohl,” for “cabbage,” and “rabi,” for “turnip” (Germanic)–this nutrient dense food contains 140% RDA of vitamin C, 19% RDA fiber, and 14% RDA potassium in a 1 cup serving. Add in the russett potato, carrots, and awesome anti-inflammatory ginger and turmeric, and you have an insanely healthy soup! Even though the ingredients are very simple, it has a unique and complex taste. My husband actually ate the first 5 spoonfuls very slowly, scrutinizing the flavors in his mouth trying to discern the ingredients. He didn’t guess.
Inspired by this recipe.
- 2 medium kohlrabi, peeled and chopped
- 4 organic carrots, chopped
- 1 russett potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 tsp chopped ginger
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup raw cashews (not roasted or salted)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine chopped kohlrabi, carrots, potato, ginger and turmeric in a pot with the broth and cook until the veggies are soft (approx 30 minutes).
- Puree the pot contents in a high-speed blender with the raw cashews until smooth and creamy, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a crusty multigrain bread.