Yes–it’s ready at last! My homemade chocolate recipe that is completely free of dairy, soy, nuts, honey, gluten, GMOs, seaweed, aardvarks, aliens….well, you get the picture. This stuff is rich, dark chocolate goodness that tastes AMAZING without any of the major allergens and it packs a superfood punch!
My chocolate gains its sweetness from pure maple syrup and lucuma powder, making it both paleo- and vegan-friendly. It also contains several superfood ingredients. If you do not have raw cacao powder, let me know how normal baking cocoa powder does. And do yourself a favor and get raw cacao powder for the next time–it is so much richer and its better for your body! Optional ingredients include lucuma powder and maca powder.
For those not familiar with lucuma powder, it is made from whole Peruvian lucuma fruit that has been dried at low temperatures and milled into a fine powder. It is a low-glycemic sweetener and contains many nutrients including beta-carotene, iron, zinc, vitamin B3, calcium and protein. I buy mine on Amazon, the Navitas Naturals brand. It is a very mild sweetener, but I realize not everyone will have it or want to purchase it. Totally fine!–just replace it with extra maple syrup. Likewise, if you do not have maca powder, you can omit it in the recipe. Maca powder is a superfood with numerous reported health benefits, but too much of it can be detrimental.
If, like me, you don’t have candy or chocolate molds, you can use silicone ice cube trays. I got my heart one at IKEA.
- ½ cup chopped organic, raw coconut butter (I like Artisana brand)
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- 2-3 tbsp pure maple syrup, depending on desired sweetness
- 1 tbsp lucuma powder (can sub addtl tbsp maple syrup)
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 1-2 tsp maca powder (optional)
- Combine coconut butter and coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat until just melted. ***It is very important to melt these ingredients at a low temperature and not overdo it or you will get grainy chocolate.***
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients immediately.
- Pour chocolate into molds or silicone ice cube tray and refrigerate until solid.