I have to say, I am loving the fact I don’t have to give up old favorites to eat vegan! It only took 10 minutes this morning to throw the ingredients for this chili in the crockpot.
To accompany the chili, I mixed up the Happy Herbivore’s cornbread recipe (takes 5 minutes).
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fine salt (I omitted)
1 cup non-dairy milk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 tbsp raw sugar–optional (I omitted)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk dry ingredients together in bowl then add the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour batter into greased pie dish, cast-iron skillet or square casserole dish. Bake 20 minutes.
This is one tasty and EASY dinner!
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped (I used half a yellow and half an orange one)
- 2 carrots, grated or sliced thin
- 1 + ½ cups corn
- 1 diced zucchini
- 2 cans kidney beans (I used 1 dark red and 1 light red)
- 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 1 + ½ tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (I omitted)
- dash cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a crock pot or slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.