One of my wonderful friends gifted me with a massive bag of quinoa–seriously, that is an awesome gift for a nutritarian–and here’s one of the recipes, from Fat-Free Vegan, that used some of it. This is a hearty and fairly traditional tasting chili.
This chili is also delicious served over a baked potato and sprinkled with nutritional yeast.
- 1 cup rinsed and drained quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced (I used yellow)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 (16-oz) cans black beans, drained
- 1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Combine quinoa and water in saucepan, cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until liquid is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large, deep non-stick pot; add onion, bell pepper, and celery. Sauté in water 7 minutes over medium heat. Stir in fresh tomatoes and carrots; sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in beans, crushed tomatoes, and seasonings; cook about 25 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in quinoa; cook 5 minutes more. Serves 8.