Like slurping down a dark chocolate Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, made even tastier from the knowledge that it’s healthy. This smoothie has some nutrition powerhouses–spinach, raw cacao nibs, flax seed–but it tastes like a sweet indulgence. Note: Although healthy, this is a high-calorie drink (500+ cal), so enjoy it as a meal, not as an accompaniment.
This recipe is from the Complete Idiot’s Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition, by Julieanna Hever.
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh spinach
- ⅛ cup raw nut butter (almond or peanut butter are great)
- 1 tbsp flax seed
- 3 pitted dates
- ¼ cup raw cacao nibs
- 1 medium frozen, peeled banana (make sure you slice the banana into small pieces before freezing so that it blends well)
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used vanilla hemp milk, but you could also use chocolate almond or another kind)
- ½ cup ice
- Combine ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Drink icy-cold.